[geeklog-users] User Topic Subscription - MDigest

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Jan 31 13:56:40 EST 2004

Ed,

>To my horror, it's all text values stored in there of the actual Topic
>Names.

No, it's the topic _ID_.

>This seems highly inefficient, but more importantly, I wonder, what happens
>when a Topic Name is changed by the Admin?

Changing the topic ID may result in a few broken links, e.g. when
somebody used them in a story. Also, Google seems to follow these links
on occasion.

There's no real problem with the topic IDs being stored as they are,
though. If you change the ID, the old ID in the user's settings will
remain there until the next time they change their settings. And since
the topic doesn't exist any more, it won't send out any emails for it either.

http://mypod.de/