[geeklog-users] New user help

bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz bruce at trianglewebhosting.biz
Thu Jul 15 10:51:01 EDT 2004

When you say look at the config.php file, does that mean I can download it
and edit it and then upload it to my installation?

The ability to include content into my site from elsewhere such as have a
weblog or rss feed or anything included into a block, which would be like
targeting it to a frame on the same page would be desirable.  Perhaps I'll
have to use a couple CMS that are linked together to get all the features
needed.  XOOPS let one include the content in a block and you could write a
custom block that has your own html/php code in it.  Unfortunately it is
rather ugly for a CMS and doing what one wants is less than easy to get done
even if it is supported.  Their forum for help is setup poorly as one cannot
even send emails to one's main email account.  I need that feature to have
someone get an email that says their post has been responded to and to go to
the site to read it.

The fact that I can have stories/blogs within Geeklog that are available
even to someone that I don't have to get to register is a good feature.  I'd
like to have people register for my site but sometimes there is a need to
have a direct link to the publication or story, etc. that does not say
permission denied.

I've been looking at collaborating with a site at: myTown.ca that is based
on a proprietary CMS.  The goal is to find ways to allow any CMS to
collaborate with any other CMS/blog or any web site, that is to have a
"community" that is encapsulated.

Tikiwiki seems able to do that but it is less than intuitive.  One benefit
of that is that one can in addition to including content from elsewhere in
the site, you can setup individual user views of the site, individually
customized content.  So, perhaps I can embed my Geeklog site into something
that will be a portal if you will, that pulls in content from elsewhere and
keeps you there... a replacement for my.yahoo.com for some friends of mine.

Links that keep a visitor at one's site are definitely highly desirable and
good coding.  One doesn't want to instruct a web site where moving from any
content to any other content or page is necessary by a back arrow on the
browser window.  I try to always code such that each page has a consistent
look and feel and can take on to the home page from wherever.  A link to
outside content that takes you to another site and outside one's own site
prohibits this.  As soon as one leaves for another site one cannot specify
the content on the other site.  There are many ways to do this though,
conceptually.  Sites with SSI - server side includes - are one example.  I
suppose a SSI could include a link to one's Geeklog site and thus have it
within a frame on the site.  Thus one would not actually leave one's own
site.
Thanks,
Bruce