[geeklog-users] Polls and PNGs

Steve Sloan steve at finagle.org
Thu Mar 18 17:25:18 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, wOOge wrote:

wOOge wrote:

> a quick and dirty answer to the gif/png  issue is that, sadly support
> for pngs in IE for PC is flaky at best.

I've heard that alpha and gamma support were b0rken (I'm sure it's all
Greek to MS ;) ), but I thought that it still included basic support,
enough to ditch GIF ... ?

O.k., I see that IE doesn't support alpha [0], can't print [1], and
doesn't like 4k images [2] (wtf?!).  And while proper alpha support would
make building themes *lots* easier, GIF doesn't support it either.

>From my point of view, IE seems to support PNG as well as it supports
GIF, and I for one am willing to risk it.  Furthermore, I'd rather just
do things the Right Way, and let the brokenness force MS to fix IE, or
else force people to get an actual "web browser"[3].  But maybe I'm just
bastardly. ;)

-- Steve

[0] http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;219223
[1] http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255239