[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #9

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Feb 20 09:26:53 EST 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #9

February 20, 2012

Empowerment Series #4

ENERGY FLOWS THROUGH IT

You have power. You have four fundamental powers and from those four
powers, all of your other powers, energies, skills, competencies, and
expertise arise. As I've described these powers in the previous articles
(#1-3), the point is singular: If you want to be empowered, claim and
develop your innate powers. If you want to act like a victim, feel that
"the world" is against you, that you have no choice, that you can't
determine your own life, then reject your powers, ignore them, discount
them, rail against them, and set limiting beliefs in your mind about them.

Your powers enable you to have authority. I'm here talking about real
authority. That is, your four powers enable you to author your life- to
write the script of what you think, believe, understand, desire, hope for,
speak, and act. And when you think of yourself as the author of your life,
you author your values, direction, style, relationships, etc. This is your
real authority. Without this, all of the external "authority" in the world
will not give you a sense of personal confidence, efficacy, or power. And
with this authority, nothing in the external world can rob you of your
personal power.

Look at some of the world-changers. Look at Martin Luther King or Nelson
Mandela- how much external power did they have? Long before anyone
recognized their leadership and long before they had any status or position,
they had plenty of personal authority and power and energy. They knew who
they were, what they were about, their values, vision, and direction. Long
before recognition, they were actualizing their highest meanings and best
performances. The energy of their power and authority was inside-out power.

This highlights my next point: Power is embodied in the energy of your
speech and behavior. How is power transferred from the inside to the
outside? How is the energies of your innate powers transformed so that it
makes a difference in the external world? Answer: Through your body as you
speak and act. That's why performance is so important (and why I wrote,
Achieving Peak Performance, 2009).

Now in Neuro-Semantic NLP we often speak about this. When we use our
systemic model, The Matrix Model,we say things like, "With this model you
can now follow the energy of your client through his or her system." This
is not a fluffy concept of psycho-babble so characteristic by people
enchanted by various new age myths about "energy." Instead, it is a
description of the two communication loops that define the processes of
empowerment. Here's a review of those communication loops:

1) The horizontal loop is the traditional behavioristic loop of
stimulus-response. A stimuli occurs in the world that triggers a response
from you. He curses at you, you respond by cursing back. She rolls her
eyes while you talk, you consider her to be rude and inconsiderate. The
"feedback" of these triggers into your mind-body system is followed as you
respond and "feed-forward" your response back into the world. Stimulus->
Response.

2) The vertical loop is the cognitive and meta-cognitive self-reflexivity
loop of stimulus -response. Now you are stimulating yourself with
thoughts-and-emotions about the first level stimulus, you are thinking about
it, you are feeling about it, you are meta-stating it with other states,
other frames, other beliefs. You are feeding-back to yourself the next
layer of thoughts-and-emotions about the first level and this can occur
again and again. It can occur so that you create many layers of meta-states
or meta-frames about the previous ones. This is your self-reflexive
consciousness at work! And while you are doing this, you are also
"feeding-forward" into yourself (into your body) orders / commands about how
to feel, how to act, how to respond. This creates your feelings-your
states. And this explains the responses that are created in your body which
are sent out to the world in the horizontal loop. (I've written a lot more
about these loops last year in Neuro-Semantics, 2011, and Benchmarking
Intangibles, 2011).

So, to follow the energy through the human mind-body-emotion system - you
follow the information into the system and through the system as it is
processed, and then out of the system as the person responds linguistically
and behaviorally.

Using The Matrix Model provides a way to distinguish the grounding state of
a person, the person's meaning-making and intentionality and then five
facets of their "self" (their value as a person, skills and competencies
["powers"], relationships ["others"], their temporal self ["time"], and
domain of experience ["world"]).

Energy always has a medium. Whether it is chemical energy, electrical,
radiant heat, and so on, every form of energy has a medium. So in the
sciences that handle those forms of energy, we are always asking about the
medium. What is the medium of transfer? In humans, the medium is our body-
our neurology, our multiple nervous systems. And that's because energy
within us shows up as nervous-energy as our protoplasm and nervous systems
are activated and mobilized.

This is what we study and use in Neuro-Semantic NLP. It's not just about
meaning and linguistics, it is about the transfer of our linguistic meanings
in our bodies, and what words, ideas, understandings, beliefs, memories,
imaginations, decisions, etc. are actually doing in our bodies. So, we
"follow the information-energy through the communication loops" to identify,
model, and understand what's going on. Then with that, we can
intellectually intervene to facilitate true empowerment and
self-actualization.

IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA---- THE CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION WORKSHOP COMING TO
WASHINGTON DC.