[Neurons] Meta Reflections 2012 #21

alan at optimum-mind.co.nz alan at optimum-mind.co.nz
Mon Apr 9 03:28:07 EDT 2012

Meta Reflections 2012  #21

April 9, 2012

Guess Writer: Alan Fayter

 TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR
DESTINY
Do you feel stuck, limited or at the mercy of
karma, fate or predestination?  Well your worries are over; there is
an answer just for you!
The idea of Karma, Fate or some kind of
pre-ordained destiny has been around for thousands of years in every
culture. And there are clues as to what these concepts mean...
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”,
“whatever ye shall sow, so shall ye reap” (Bible),
“What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to
others”(Confucius),and even these days we have sayings
like  “What goes around comes
around”.
With these ideas so ingrained in us humans, no
wonder they hold so much sway. Whether a person believes in karma or fate,
or just that they are ‘at the mercy of events in the world’,
they raise some interesting philosophical questions – and some very
interesting affects and responses in our lives! For the most part as I
watch people and when I train and coach Neuro-Semantic NLP typical

The Cruiser:“There’s nothing I can do
so I’ll just go with the flow. Everything will be ok I
guess”– Optimistic but gives away control and
responsibility. This kind of person is happy enough to just cruise
through life, but never really achieves anything or makes much of an
impact on the world or other people.

The Loser:“There’s nothing I can do to
change anything so why bother trying!”– Pessimistic,
never achieves anything. This kind of person is always complaining and
blaming others. Refuses or is afraid of responsibility.

The Victim:“What I do has an effect! Oh
no...”(fill in the blank with a load of negative
“what if’s?” and consequences). Pessimistic
– This kind of person is often meek and scared of doing anything.
They will not take risks or stretch their comfort zone. In the extreme
they can develop conditions such as paranoia, OCD and social
phobias.

The Victor:“What I do has an effect! Wow, I
can achieve anything! – And here is the mindset of someone
who is aware of the control they have over their own destiny, who takes
full responsibility for their successes and
their mistakes, who relishes the thought of stretching their comfort
zone. But even though they might have this amazing mindset – some
of these people still never do anything about it. They never actualise
their fullest potential. It is only those who think this way
and take action that really live their
dreams.

Talk to most people and they’ll fit somewhere within these
general categories. Where do you fit? But none of these responses are from
a point of understanding what this ‘karma’,
‘destiny’ or ‘fate’ thing actually is. Now because
of the evolution of human beings, whether you believe in the idea or not
– it will have an effect! So what is it?

>From an NLP and

Neuro-Semantic angle to understand karma or fate we look towards
systems. To understand destiny we look at
intentionality. Everything we do is a result of what we think and
feel about the world, our lives and actions. Everything good you have
right now is the result of all your previous experiences, choices and
actions (both good and bad) – and
it’s the same for all of the bad stuff you experience
now.
Let’s break this down: Say I do something
‘bad’ to someone. They get upset/angry/resentful etc. in their
thinking and feeling about me. They may tell others bad things about me
(so others are systemically affected) or do/not do something to hurt/help
me in the future. The whole thing is ‘systemic’ or put simply
– what goes around comes around. But there’s more... Given my
upbringing in the society I live in (the wider, unconscious frames), I
will hold in mind ideas about what is considered ‘good’ or
‘bad’ and so may have feelings of insecurity or guilt about
what I’ve done. I may unconsciously believe I don’t deserve to
have nice things happen to me, so when things go wrong I focus on them and
exaggerate them; I feel bad about me and may divert these feelings by
blaming etc., so the whole thing becomes a negative self-fulfilling
prophesy in my life – beliefs are ‘commands to the nervous
system’. By the way, if this fundamental awareness of
‘good’ and ‘bad’ is missing in a person –
the technical term is psychopath!
On the other hand... If I do
something nice, kind or helpful; people say nice things to others about
me, they are willing and happy to return the favour or help me out. But
more importantly I feel good that I’ve helped someone, made them
happy. I think of myself as a nice person. I feel empowered. I feel
I’ve made a positive difference in the world. I feel I deserve good
things in my life and so I focus on them – and all of this becomes a
self-fulfilling prophesy.
It’s your choice, driven by your
highest intentions. And whatever you choose, we know it’s systemic
because we hear comments in life about such scenarios like,
“well, it was bound to happen”...” we all saw that
coming” etc. And these comments in turn feed the systemic
nature of a person’s future ‘karma’. And incidentally
‘good’ and ‘bad’ are purely subjective
terms!
And on top of all of this we need to accept that stuff goes
wrong just because we cannot be responsible for what other people do. And
we need to have the resilience to carry on no matter what setbacks occur;
to have the focus and inner strength to win.
So what key elements do
we notice are missing in those who are at the mercy of negative
karma and fate, and that are present in those who direct their
own destiny?

Personal power

Responsibility

Ability to take action, to make things real

Choice

Resilience

Self-acceptance

Intentionality

Focus

It’s no coincidence that the above list is precisely the content
of the ‘Accessing Personal Genius’ training. So if you want to
know how to take control of your destiny, to create your own karma and
decide your own fate – find a Neuro-Semantic trainer in your area
and start unleashing your real potential!
To find an APG in your
area --- http://www.neurosemantics.com/apg-schedule