[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #29

Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Jun 4 09:18:47 EDT 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #29

June 4, 2012

Empowerment Series #15

THE POWER OF COLLABORATION

This is the 15th post on Empowerment and when you put together all of the
other powers that's I've mentioned to date, and focus them into the area of
"playing well with others," then another power emerges. And it is an
incredible power, it is the power of collaboration. This is actually the
power that has brought the human race to this age of science, technology,
space exploration, terrorism, World Wars, the social media, etc. Why?
Because we can do so much more together than alone or apart and our history
has demonstrated that over and over. When you consider where we are in
science, technology, civilization, and so on, it is collaboration that has
made the difference.

What is collaboration? Collaboration is people working together to create
something that no one individual can create or do by him or herself. This
very special state and state-of-mind is far more than just complying to
authority. It is more than just cooperating and passively going along with
something that you agree with and believe in. It is positively and actively
wanting and acting in unity with others for a greater good.

People working together with other people created the Pyramids of old and
the great skyscrapers of every modern city today. People working together
with others have come together to create unions and cities, and nations and
governments. If collaboration refers to working with others, then the
opposite is going it alone. The opposite is the drive for independence, of
separation, of leading out on your own when no one else believes in your
vision. And the fascinating thing about human beings is that everyone of us
feels the pull of each of these forces; they are built into our very
neurology and psychology. We want to be independent and we want to be a
part of a community. We want to be true to our innermost self and we want
to be part of a winning team.

Interestingly enough, we all begin life within a collaboration: a family, a
community, a town, a nation, etc. Without others, we wouldn't survive at
all. After that begins the developmental pull within us to separate, to
individuate, to become a self in our own right, to define ourselves and find
our own way. And so begins the individuation process of childhood and the
teenage years as we become independent adults. And yet as this process is
wrapping up, we feel yet another urge emerging- the social urge, the pull to
be a part of a group, to have close friends, to find a special one to love,
to become inter-dependent.

The pull of collaboration arises because we are social beings with social
needs- for love and affection, for bonding, for companionship, for having
colleagues, to be a part of a winning team, to be recognized by peers, to
count in their eyes, and so on. Yet so many things can mess up this power-
this drive. Ego is a big one. Many people are blocked from creative
collaborations because they have to have things "their way." They have to
have constant recognition, attention, honor, etc.

Others are blocked from effective collaborations because they lack basic
social skills: caring about others, listening, supporting, validating,
confirming, taking time to be present to them, etc. They didn't learn the
lessons of kindergarten- how to play well with others. They are bossy,
demanding, self-centered, critical, sarcastic, judgment, unkind, etc. They
are not good team players. Perhaps they were trained to be tyrants and
bosses and dictators because that was the kind of leadership modeled for
them at home or school or government.

There are many other blocks that interfere with effective collaboration:
fear of change, vested interests in the status quo, fear of loss of self in
a group; inability to be a part of a community, lack of vision, intolerance,
etc.

In today's interconnected world, collaboration is more important than ever.
Neither individuals nor nations can afford to "go it alone," operate in
isolation, or act as independent from the rest of the world. Although,
sadly, we see both individuals and nations attempting to do so. Today, big
visions and "big hairy audacious goals" takes people working together
effectively as high performance teams. Today companies are moving to
self-managing teams of people who via their collaboration provide the
leadership and management required for their area of responsibility.

This, in fact, describes a self-actualizing family, business, community, and
country- people know how to be and operate as a high performance team. They
know how to tap into the differences that each brings and enable people to
feel an important part of the group. And of course, to facilitate this
self-actualizing leaders are required. We need leaders who have the ability
to set a vision, pioneer with a collaborative style, pull people together,
and work through the conflict of differences so that a group spirit emerges,
a community of care.

The power of collaboration is today creating new companies and is
forecasting what corporations will be like in the future. In fact, the most
successful companies today are the result of collaborative partnerships-
people working together for a mutual benefit. Those who do not develop this
personal power will be left behind. Now for some personal questions: Do you
know how to effectively collaborate with others? Are you collaborative in
your nature and style? Do you enjoy the process of collaborating with
others? Do you know how to be an effective team player? If not, then call
for a Meta-Coach immediately or get to a training by a Licensed
Neuro-Semantic Trainer! Collaboration is our middle name.

Neuro-Semantic News

. NSTT --- Trainers' Training is just 6 weeks away in Colorado USA.
Prior to NSTT will be a 3-day training in APG (Accessing Personal Genius)
followed by 3 days of "The Psychology of APG." If interested, let us know.
Write to Michael Hall, meta at acsol.net

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director ---- <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP? Get your free subscription to "Neurons" ---
the weekly International Newsletter of Neuro-Semantics. Subscribe at
<http://www.neurosemantics.com/> www.neurosemantics.com. Dr. Hall sends
out Meta Reflections every Monday (Colorado time). Trainers' Reflections
occur on Tuesdays and Meta-Coach Reflections on Wednesdays. Contact Dr.
Hall at <mailto:meta at acsol.net> meta at acsol.net

For world-class Coach Training --- see Meta-Coaching System at
<http://www.meta-coaching.org/> www.meta-coaching.org and at
<http://www.metacoachfoundation.org> www.metacoachfoundation.org

Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential Movement in 2007, for
information about the Self-Actualization workshops, go to
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org