[Neurons] 2013 Meta Reflections #23

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Jul 23 08:59:38 EDT 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #37

July 23, 2012

Empowerment Series #23

THE POWER OF PLANNING

In the last post in this Empowerment series, I asked if you have a plan for
your own self-development for identifying and developing your human capital
and potentials. Well, do you? Is it written down? Is it detailed out so
that you have an action plan for each day and each week? And do you
consider it important?

Typically when I pose such questions at trainings, several people will pipe
up and ask, "But do I have to have a plan? What's the big deal about a
plan?" Others will say that they "did that and it did not work."

The key here actually is not the plan, it is the process of planning.
There's a famous quote from General George S. Patton during the Second World
War about plans.

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next
week."

The other quote is that what's most important is not the plan, but the
planning. If the next day you find out that the plan is no longer relevant
or useful, throw it away. You have not wasted time or effort, because the
value was in and is in the planning. So Patton identified that what is
important is not the Plan per se, but the process of planning. So be ready
to abandon any and every plan that you draw up. If the key to success then
is not the plan, then the key is the planning.

Ah yes, planning is the important item. This is the process of going
through the struggle of figuring out what you want. Planning is the process
where and when you want it, what's involved in accessing the required
resources and prerequisites to get what you want, identifying the obstacles
and constraints to be dealt with, the problems to solve, the solutions to
invent, and the process of innovating the plans so that they become real.
The experience of planning involves a lot! And it is this that is
important.

 So, do you have a plan for your own human capital development?

 What plans do you have for actualizing your highest and best?

 What plans have you created and are creating so that you can
become the best version of you?

 What is your planning process for your most highly desired
objectives?

 How do you incorporate continuous improvement into your plans?

Now the power in planning obviously lies in using all of your core powers
(thinking, emoting, speaking, and acting) as you engage in a process of
imagining and inventing a desired future and then figuring out the steps and
stages for getting there. It is this whole process that we call planning.

When I modeled the experience of wealth creation in the early 1990s, this
was one of the things I discovered in those who had succeeded in becoming
financially independent. They had sat down and planned what they wanted and
how they would go about obtaining it. Later when I examined the literature
and the longitudinal research on wealth creation, the same theme emerged.
So I sat down and wrote my first wealth creation plan. Talk about hard! It
was "hard" because it revealed that I really didn't have a clear idea about
what or how. So to complete the planning process, I had to do some intense
and focused thinking about that, I had to revisit my notes on the process, I
had to do a lot of self-exploration about skills, potential competencies,
weaknesses, plans for addressing those weaknesses, passions, etc.
Eventually I created a 10-year plan which I broke down to a year-by-year
development, which I broke down to a month-by-month set of activities, which
I broke down to a day-by-day checklist of things "to do" that would be my
small everyday steps toward financial independence.

The planning process itself involved all of that intense focused thinking
that detailed the grand idea., the grand idea was financial independence,
but the work of planning was the meta-detailing the specific everyday
activities that would make that possible. And true to what General Patton
said, the truly important was not the Plan. As life kept happening, I found
myself constantly change it and updating it. And that was the important
thing.

That's why to this very day, one of the objectives and take-aways from the
Inside-Out Wealth Training is the ten-year-plan that every participant is
encouraged to create. I even put that in the book by the same title so that
if you are just using the book, you will be invited repeatedly to create a
ten-year plan and have even offered a template for creating that plan
(Chapter 15, p. 234ff).

If the planning process is the key to creating your own inside-out wealth so
that you win the inner game of how you think, understand, believe, and
decide about "wealth," and then win the outer game of actualizing that, the
same will be true for other objectives. It will be true for your personal
empowerment.

 Have you set out to create a ten-year plan for empowering
yourself mentally, emotionally, linguistically, behaviorally, relationally,
etc.?

 If you set out to create a personal empowerment plan- what would
you write?

 What planning would you do?

 What competencies would you focus on developing?

 What beliefs would you need to identify and install so that your
beliefs support you?

 What states, intentions, identities, etc.? (here using the
distinctions of the Matrix Model).

The power of planning taps into the power of a well-formed outcome, into the
power of intentionality, and into the power of meta-detailing.

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D. --- Neuro-Semantics International

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director ---- <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP? Get your free subscription to "Neurons" ---
the weekly International Newsletter of Neuro-Semantics. Subscribe at
<http://www.neurosemantics.com/> www.neurosemantics.com. Dr. Hall sends
out Meta Reflections every Monday (Colorado time). Trainers' Reflections
occur on Tuesdays and Meta-Coach Reflections on Wednesdays. Contact Dr.
Hall at <mailto:meta at acsol.net> meta at acsol.net

For world-class Coach Training --- see Meta-Coaching System at
<http://www.meta-coaching.org/> www.meta-coaching.org and at
<http://www.metacoachfoundation.org> www.metacoachfoundation.org

Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential Movement in 2007, for
information about the Self-Actualization workshops, go to
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org