[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #39

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Aug 6 09:08:39 EDT 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #39

August 6, 2012

Empowerment Series #25

THE POWER OF GOING FOR IT

There's a power in going for it. Do you know this power? Perhaps you know
the opposite, the dis-empowerment of hesitating, procrastinating, being
indecisive, and/or fear of risk taking. These dis-empowering experiences
undermines your sense of power, drains your sense of being efficacious in
living your life, and contradicts your empowerment. In these experiences,
you are not "going for it."

Conversely, when you go for it, you take action. You try things. You
experiment and then you look to see what worked, what did not, and what you
can learn from the experiment. It's like being in a laboratory- the
laboratory of life. In taking a scientific attitude about life, your
experiments enable you to figure things out and use the power of continuous
improvement. When you "go for it," you take initiative and this prevents
you from getting stuck in the fearful place of waiting until you perfectly
understand or until you can avoid all errors, mistakes, and failures.

When you go for it, you also demonstrate that you trust yourself. It is not
a matter of trusting that you will always succeed or do it right or
perfectly. No. Instead you trust yourself to learn, to figure it out, to
adjust, to be flexible, to be resilient, and to make things more and more
right. Going for it then is an act of courage and heart. It is a bold
move, one that indicates that you believe in yourself and in the future.

The power of going for it means that you don't have to know it all in order
to start. Isn't that great? And that means, you can start today. You can
start where you are by taking small, measured actions, and build up the
momentum that you need. The power of going for it also means that you can
invent it as you go. This is another discovery that I've made from modeling
the wealth-creators (in the wealth-creation modeling that I did), modeling
the entrepreneurs, and modeling leaders. All three groups of people shared
this same quality- they were responsive persons who took initiative, who
were proactive in their way of being in the world, and who would go for it
when they had a vision that they wanted to actualize.

Test yourself about your personal power of going for it:

 Do you trust yourself in doing at least something to act on your
goal?

 How often do you stop yourself by procrastinating?

 When considering stepping out to do something new, how much fear
do you experience?

 Do you let the fear hold you back?

 What risk-management skills do you have, or do you need?

 How responsive are you in terms of taking effective action even
if it is just a small act?

Obviously, to go for it requires a strong sense of self, a strong sense of
your own self-efficacy, a strong sense of your ability to learn and to
flexibly adjust to an ongoing process. The power to go for it arises
obviously from your four fundamental powers, from your power of owning your
own responsibility, and from your power of resilience.

I learned about this power in my very first NLP Training, it was a phrase
that I heard over and over from Richard Bandler. Later when I was just
about to complete my Resilience Modeling Project (1994), I presented a
workshop at Denver that I titled, "Go for it- Again!" The idea was that in
the set back we lose our ability to "go for it," and that through resilience
we are enabled to recover this fundamental power.

Going for it describes the attitude and spirit of an entrepreneur. Men and
women who catch a vision and then think through how to make that dream come
true have to have the ability to just "go for it." That is, to take the
risk to launch forward and to step up and make the dream come true.
Dreaming by itself doesn't accomplish anything. After the dreams comes the
planning, the work, and the discipline of managing yourself through time and
many activities so that you can transform the dream into reality. This is
self-actualization.

Now a person can "go for it" in an undisciplined way, in a reactive and
impatient way. But that's not a form of personal empowerment. An empowered
person "goes for it" accesses the state of patience and mindfulness and then
steps forward in a disciplined way to turn great ideas into action. Here
then is the paradox and the synergy -you and I need both. We need both the
impulse to take action and we need to take action (or "go for it") after we
have thought through our vision and turned into a well-formed outcome.

Healthy and productive going for it then occurs as a synergy. You have to
move up the Meaning Axis and generate a great idea and then you have to move
out on the Performance Axis to take the initiative. Do both in a balanced
way and you create a gestalt of an intelligent going for it.

This is not only what entrepreneurs do, it is a very quality of leadership.
Great leaders have this action tendency, this bias for action and
initiative. They go for it. They don't leave their great ideas and visions
as mere Business Plans written out in a book or a Vision statement posted on
a wall. Those who are highly effective leaders synergy their vision into an
action and then go for it as they lead out into the future.

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D. --- Neuro-Semantics International

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director ---- <http://www.neurosemantics.com/>
www.neurosemantics.com

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP? Get your free subscription to "Neurons" ---
the weekly International Newsletter of Neuro-Semantics. Subscribe at
<http://www.neurosemantics.com/> www.neurosemantics.com. Dr. Hall sends
out Meta Reflections every Monday (Colorado time). Trainers' Reflections
occur on Tuesdays and Meta-Coach Reflections on Wednesdays. Contact Dr.
Hall at <mailto:meta at acsol.net> meta at acsol.net

For world-class Coach Training --- see Meta-Coaching System at
<http://www.meta-coaching.org/> www.meta-coaching.org and at
<http://www.metacoachfoundation.org> www.metacoachfoundation.org

Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential Movement in 2007, for
information about the Self-Actualization workshops, go to
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org