[Neurons] 2012 Meta Reflections #61

L. Michael Hall meta at acsol.net
Mon Dec 17 08:55:05 EST 2012

From: L. Michael Hall

Meta Reflections 2012 #61

December 17, 2012

Empowerment Series #39

PUSHED BY DRIVES,

PULLED BY MEANING - #1

The Neuro-Semantic E = MC2

"Perception and meaning are contributions from the organism not from the
environment ... The experience ... what it means ... is within your control
to our extent that would surprise and delight you."

(Grinder & DeLozier, Turtles All the Way Down, p. 209)

"What is meaningful to us causes the heart to leap."

Wilson Colin (Biographer of Maslow)

I begin with two quotations-which offer two key ideas. First, meaning comes
from within; second, meaning causes the heart to leap. Meaning comes from
within because we create it. You and I are the meaning-makers. There is no
meaning "out there." It's not an external thing that you can find in
empirical reality. And when a person creates rich meaning inside, the heart
leaps. This is the benchmark for meaning- does your heart leap? When did
it last leap? Will it leap today?

Central to Neuro-Semantics are these two ideas. We could even say they
provide a definition or description of Neuro-Semantics. What then is
Neuro-Semantics? One short answer is that Neuro-Semantics is the management
and the embodiment of meaning. It is a discipline in which we focus on how
to act on, perform, and make real the meanings that we value and live by,
and those that we want to live by. And that's because we all live by
meaning. Without meaning (that is, meaningfulness) we cannot live. Truly
living in the sense of thriving and flourishing requires a strong and robust
sense of meaning.

Do you want to be effective in life? Of course you do. So what's the
secret of effectiveness? Meaningfulness. Above and beyond whatever you do
and whatever level of expertise you bring to what you do, you need to be
able to find or create a sense of its meaningfulness if you want to be truly
effective. That is, effectiveness in achieving any particular objective is
a function of that objective holding rich meaning to and for you. Let's
call this the Neuro-Semantic formula for success:

The Neuro-Semantic E = MC2

What does the Neuro-Semantic E = MC2 refer to? Effectiveness = Meaning
(Competency)2. To become effective in any given area of life, take your
meanings and multiply them times your competencies (your developed skills)
and then square them. Do that and you will pretty much be able to
articulate your "effectiveness." Are you an effective coach, trainer,
parent, business manager, or entrepreneur? Well, let's see.

Step 1: What does it mean to you? And what else? And how much meaning do
all of these meanings hold for you? And when you combine all of those,
where would the meaningfulness level be from 0 to 10? And are there any
meanings that detract from this? Any meanings that undermine the
meaningfulness of your role and job?

Step 2: What are your core competencies in manifesting your richest meanings
in that area? Where would you gauge yourself on those competencies from 0
to 10? What are the core competencies that you need to be effective as a
coach, trainer, parent, manager, or entrepreneur? What are the
supplementary skills that are also required to move beyond the basics to
really succeeding in that area? Where is your level of competencies in
those skills? Now imagine that you need to double all of those skills
(practice them for the 10,000 hours or ten-years required for expertise) and
in comparison with that- where are you?

Step 3: Now multiple all of your meanings by your competencies. This
should give you a pretty good gauge for how far up the pathway of
self-actualization you have moved as you have synergized meanings and
performances.

In speaking about meaning here I am referring to the Axis of Meaning- which
actually is "axes" because there are multiple axes. In the book,
Neuro-Semantics: Actualizing Meaning & Performance (2011) I have identified
a number of axes of meaning. There is the axis of the kinds of meanings,
the qualities of meaning, and the numbers of meaning.

By contrast, competency refers to the Axis of Performance. And on this
axis we have 13 or more kinds of performances (competencies or skills)-their
quantity and their quality. These are the skills required to put into
action, to embody, and to actualize what we conceptualize, believe, and
understand. And perform we do- we plan, we talk, we embody, we act, we
repeat, we practice, we create a discipline, and so on as we do lots of
different things that enable us to "perform" the meanings.

My research and studies in Self-Actualization Psychology has led to several
new formulations of the NLP model that we call Neuro-Semantics. One of them
is that self-actualization is the function of the synergy or synthesis of
meaning and performance. Another is this: We are pushed by drives and
pulled by meanings.

Pushed by drives refers to the fact of our embodiment. And the fact that we
are embodied in the kind of bodies that we are, these bodies require
numerous gratifications in order to be healthy, alert, energized, and fully
functioning. And those requirements as "needs" (or necessities) are our
drives. They drive us toward what is required for survival (food, water,
oxygen, sleep, etc.), for safety (order, stability, control over one's
choices and responses, etc.), for love and affection (connection, bonding,
relating, etc.), and for a sense of value or importance within a community
of people. Pushed by these drives, we then have to learn to cope with
effectively gratifying the need or else. "Or else" what? Or else we will
become desperate for the need, create pseudo- and toxic substitutes for
them, become pathological, and suffer all kinds of symptoms.

Pulled by meanings refers to your higher nature, a nature that transcends
the animal nature and life in the jungle. Of this Maslow said that each of
us have within us a drive for self-actualization and we now know that what
pulls us there is our hunger for meaning. We are not only a meaning-making
species, we are a meaning-dependent species. Without meaning we shrivel up
and die. Without meaning we waste away and become diminished as human
beings. Yet with meaning, we begin to unleash more and more of the
potentials clamoring inside.

And Neuro-Semantics? Well, it's the model that informs about how to work
with the dynamics or drives that push us and the meanings that pull on us.
For more, contact the Neuro-Semanticist or Meta-Coach nearest you.

L. Michael Hall, Ph.D.

Neuro-Semantics Executive Director

Neuro-Semantics International

P.O. Box 8

Clifton, CO. 81520 USA

1 970-523-7877

Dr. Hall's email:
<mailto:meta at acsol.net\hich\af31506\dbch\af31505\loch\f31506> meta at acsol.net

What is Neuro-Semantic NLP?

Neurons: Get your free subscription to the weekly International \Post on
Neuro-Semantics by Dr. L. Michael Hall. Subscribe at:
wwww.neurosemantics.com

Solutions: Sign up for the Neuro-Semantic Newsletter ---
<http://newsletter.neurosemantics.com/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506/
hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> newsletter.neurosemantics.com. This
is a monthly newsletter for anyone new to Neuro-Semantics. Femke Stuut,
Editor.

Coaching: For world-class Coach Training - The Meta-Coaching System:
www.meta-coaching.org and \
<http://www.metacoachfo/hich/a/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20f3150
6/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506%20undation.org/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31
506/hich/af31506/dbch/af31505/loch/f31506> www.metacoachfoundation.org.
Meta-Coach Reflections sent every Wednesday to the group of Licensed
Meta-Coaches.

Self-Actualization: Neuro-Semantics launched the New Human Potential
Movement in 2007, for information about this, see
<http://www.self-actualizing.org/> www.self-actualizing.org

NSP --- Neuro-Semantic Publications: Order books from Neuro-Semantic
website, www.neurosemantics.com click on Products and Services and then the
Catalogue of books. Order via paypal.