[geeklog-devel] WYSIWYG Editor

Tom Willett tomw at pigstye.net
Mon Dec 30 19:11:24 EST 2002

I ran across a nice free wysiwyg text editor for <textarea> fields.  It is
fullfeatured and mature.  It only works in Windows IE 5.5 and above but
degrades gracefully to a normal <textarea> field for other browsers.  The
only installation it requires is the addition of a few lines in the theme
files where the <textarea> is found.  It thus can be used selectively.  The
available formating commands are customizable by text area so that you can
have a restricted set available to non-admins, comments, etc.  I have
installed it and used it on stories, comments, staticpages and link
descriptions.

You can see it in action at the gplugs.sf.net site.  Open the submission
editor or even the comment editor.  Many people have asked for this and I
have already had good feedback from some of my non-technical users.

Oh yeah it is called 'htmlarea' and is released under a bsd license.

It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out and install it on the first
site I installed it on.  It took about 5 minutes on the second site.  It
took a little more on the gplugs site because of theme issues with the clean
theme, I had to figure out.

--
Tom Willett
tomw at pigstye.net