[geeklog-devel] WYSIWYG Editor

Simon Lord slord at marelina.com
Tue Dec 31 04:56:47 EST 2002

I'm a big fan of WYSIWYG editors.  However I am vehemently opposed to
Windows/IE ONLY solutions which is why my submission enhancer uses
basic java to help the user (http://www.marelina.com/submit.php).  It
has grown since but I have yet to release the update, you can find out
more at http://www.geeklog.net/article.php?story=20020904065459169.

That said, I have been looking for alternatives for Geeklog to use, the
only solution to date is Flash which works in IE, Opera, Chimera (Mac),
Mozilla and Netscape on the Mac, Windows and Linux platforms.  This
would be a better focus of our time and I would be happy to help code
the Flash end of things.  I'm stumbling with the PHP integration (I can
contact you directly to voice the problems).  There is a current effort
to create a fully featured WYSIWYG editor in Flash located here:
http://www.joshdura.com/archives/000163.php

Among its latest features are:

(1) Saving the current story as a text file.
(2) Importing a text file into the submission field.

You can find out more at the link above.  And don't focus on the layout
too much, it's not bad but it can be easily changed to suit any Geeklog
theme.  Yes, with some clever coding it can switch to match the
currently selected theme.  The hardest part is passing the data from
the flash file to geeklog to be saved and passing the data from the DB
*into* the flash file when editing a submitted story.  But that's a
limitation on my part which can be solved easily by working closely
with a PHP programmer.