[geeklog-devel] An observation as a semi-developer/user

Blaine Lang langmail at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 22 11:21:26 EST 2003

Dirk Haun" <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:
> The forum may need some work, though, to catch up with the problems we've
> been having with Geeklog in the past. For example, words in curly
> brackets like {site_url} currently vanish from forum posts. Also, we may
> hit the problem with single quotes causing SQL errors on geeklog.net (I
> don't know if we do, but if we do, it renders the forum pretty much
> useless). This is already causing some gripes on geeklog.info ...

I've tried to duplicate this and can not. I've tested this under
1) WinXP IIS - PHP4.3
2) FreeBSD - PHP4.1
3) Linux - PHP 4.3

In all cases I can post single quotes, double quotes {curley brackets} or
another character.
Tested with magic_quotes_gpc = on and off
See my recent test on my site - currently hosted at a service provider

Tested results:
http://www.langfamily.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=6&showtopic=454

For my phpinfo: http://www.langfamily.ca/faqman/index.php?op=view&t=9

So if anyone who has this error or can duplicate it. Please do a little
testing and give me more information.

Additionally, it's easy to use .htaccess to change the local value of
magic_quotes_gpc or other php setting.
This works - tested by adding debug code in my common forum function that
formats the data before SQL inserts
That function is gf_preparefordb() in the
public_html/forum/include/gf_format.php file

Blaine