[geeklog-devel] Full-text Search Working

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Sun Jan 12 11:33:11 EST 2003

Cool, I figured there was something like this...just didn't dig around
too much.  So, to be clear, I'll use this in the install script
somewhere for both updates and new installs to determine if the alter
tables need to happen.  Then in search.php I'll call it again to see if
we should run full-text searches.

I thought about leaving this in the config.php file as an option but the
more I think about it, why *wouldn't* you want this if your DB supports
it?  Anyone want to argue leaving it in config.php?

Also, implementing this in GL2 will be a bit more tricky.  The
trickiness is introduced by the fact we'll support any DBMS that
PEAR::DB supports.  I think we can implement a search factory pattern
that would still allow you to do custom searching per DBMS but the code
to do the custom searches would, ideally, come from the GL user
community as I don't want to get into supporting code that isn't DB
independent or os/webserver independent.  So I'll just add the hooks
that make it possible but leave it unimplemented.  Instead we'll have a
default search object that does DBMS independent searches.

--Tony

Tom Willett wrote:
>>If any of you want a small challenge if
>>there is a way in MySQL via query to get the MySQL version then we could
>>  eliminate a bunch of support hassles by determining this for them
>

> Not mysql but php
>
> mysql_get_server_info()
>
> --
> Tom Willett
> tomw at pigstye.net

|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |
|tony at tonybibbs.com |system, the fact is that every man in jail is one |
|                   |less potential fisherman to clutter up your       |
|                   |favorite pool or pond. --Ed Zern                  |