[geeklog-devel] WSRP, GL2 and other stuff

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Jun 10 10:06:00 EDT 2003

Holy bloat batman.

Don't get me wrong, I see and understand the value in this.  However, my
hunch is that simply implementing the 1.0 spec (if it is even out) would
take months (at my current rate) and you haven't even begun to address
the core GL2 features.

Furthermore, I have no feel for any progress being made on a PHP Portlet
API.  I think having one would be nice but a google search on "PHP
Portlet API" brings up an old geeklog-devtalk post first which leads me
to believe we are the only ones even thinking out load about this.  I
think we could recruit the right people from various PHP CMS systems to
start building the API but do we really want to spend our time doing
this?  I would love to but at the current rate GL2 will be lucky to be
in beta by this winter given the general lack of additional support I have.

Which brings me to my next point.  I am growing increasing frustrated
with the general disinterest in GL2.  I have architected what I believe
to be a good foundation thus far but have received little to no input
and hardly any programming support.  Doing no one any discredit, I
understand why it is important to keep 1.3.x moving and I don't want to
stop that.  However, long ago we had ear marked a few new features in
1.3.x and had talked about freezing that codebase except for security
and bug fixes.  Now, I admit there wasn't broad consensus then but I
guess I had always hoped for this.  In an effort to correct this, I have
been back in contact with Jason and he is still onboard albeit it in a
limited capacity.

I guess my point is I feel we are at a point where we should shit or get
off the pot.  Perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of bed and I admit
today the glass is half empty so I apologize if this sounds harsh.
With all this said, is a 1.3.x code freeze feasible?  If not, I will
need help building a general roadmap for GL2 and help recuiting new help
because, to be honest, GL2 has enough code that I need extra eyes to
validate or invalidate what I already have and I will need consistent
help moving forward with it.

I think we all agree GL 1.3.x is quickly outgrowing it's capabilities, I
think the user community is interested in the prospect of GL2 so unless
I am way off base I think the need is there.  I just don't feel the
commitment is there and it is to the point that I have begun to lose
interest in it and I hate that.  I think if we could all get engaged
with GL2 to some degree that would provide sufficient motivation.  My
point is something needs to change.  I have ideas of what those things
are but they all require more fresh bodies...a rare commodity in
building OSS.

Again, none of this is meant to be personal.  It is just my current
perspective and a cry out for help.

--Tony