[geeklog-devel] WSRP, GL2 and other stuff

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Jun 10 11:17:19 EDT 2003

Vincent, my comments are below.  I cc'd the list as I think my repsonses
will shed some light for others.

--Tony

Vincent Furia wrote:

> Tony,
>
> There are several of us 'non-core' (no cvs access) developers waiting
> in the wings, wondering when you're going to start farming out work
> for geeklog.  I can only really speak for myself, but I'm pretty
> frustrated at the lack of communications we get.

The communication structure for GL2 doesn't really exists because, to be
frank, it has been a one person effort thus far.  I would love to add
people to the mix and if you are volunteering to be engaged and
accountable for certain pieces that is great.  So, for the record, I
will assume you are interested unless I hear otherwise.

> A couple of months ago I gave you a bunch of input on the MVCnPHP
> library, that appear to have just been ignored.  I don't mind being
> ignored if I can see that my code is (a) being incorporated in CVS or
> (b) the problems I found were being addressed in another way.
> Otherwise a response back would be nice indicating what you think of
> the changes (even a "don't bother me with this" would be better than
> being ignored).  This was especially frustrating because you even
> asked people on the devel mailing list to review your MVCnPHP code.

Yes, you have.  I haven't touched the MVC code since my last message to
the list.  You aren't being ignored and I can understand how my silence
can give you that impression so my apologies.  Your input I took as
someone who simply gave an honest look at the code (and I do appreciate
it) but not as a developer.  Had your intents been more clear I would
have responded differently I'm sure.

> The lack of communication is hurtful in other ways.  About two weeks
> ago a developer on the IRC channel was wondering what happened to
> you.  It seems he had been trying to contact you to help with GL2 for
> about a month and hadn't been able to get a response.  He was getting
> so frustrated he considered spawning his own GL2 (obviously under a
> different name).  I think this is a pretty common feeling with many
> people who are looking forward to GL2.

Who is this 'developer'?  To be honest, I have received no real input or
interest for helping with GL2.  A quick search of in mailbox confirms
this.  For someone to be to a point to spawn his own GL2 is a bit
premature considering nobody has been contact with me.  If you can dig
this person up, let me know and I can follow-up because, again, there is
more than enough work to go around.

> In this case, I had recently spoken to you on IRC, so I mentioned to
> this developer that you were planning on putting a story up on GL2 to
> get input on the plugin API for GL2 ("the next big thing to do").
> That was more than a month and a half ago.  I haven't seen the
> developer's handle on IRC since.

Well, that was about the point I started getting frustrated.  I have
literally thousands of lines of code and I decided that before I started
on the API I should get some feedback on what has already been done.
Much of the code is still alpha or beta quality and it didn't make sense
to start something new until some polish was given to things that have
been done.  The only portions of code that have had any feedback to date
is the MVC code and, in part, the Translation library.  That still
leaves a lot of code to be reviewed (authentication and authorization in
particular).

> Right now I'm working on a generic configuration module that uses
> mysql to store config variables and caches them in a php file
> (hopefully no more hassle with config.php...).  My intent is for this
> code to be used for GL2, and possible GL1.3.x and other php projects.
> I'd really prefer to be working on some core GL2 code, but it's
> impossible to know what to work on when things just "appear" in CVS,
> and then attempts to contribute are ignored.
>
> To make all this constructive, I'd like to recommend better
> communication.  Maybe a weekly meeting in IRC that goes through status
> reports (it could be really short) and a GL2 TODO list maintained on
> the website and update regularly as task are accomplished and new work
> appears.

Actually, I just messaged Dirk that I plan on install the latest gForge
code (http://gforge.org) and if it is usable I will put GL2 in there and
work with Dirk to get 1.3.x in there as well.  That shoud serve as a
suitable project website to facilitate better communication.  IMHO, IRC
or IM is not worth much as I prefer archives of stuff so email should be
the focus.  Should we create a geeklog2-devel list? That seems to be of
value as a lot of mail goes through geeklog-devel that isn't relevant to
GL2.  Just a thought.

> This sounds as bad as your post did.  I'm sorry, but this has building
> for a while and then your post, "a cry for help", struck a pretty raw
> nerve.   I think I'll send this to you exclusively, and let you mail
> it to the list or keep it to yourself as you see fit (and I apologize
> for the two email's, I'm not sure which box your using or even if they
> are the same box).

No, don't worry, the result is all I am after.  As long as this spurs
the conversation we need to get things going I will be happy.  So
consider yourself 'in'.  Track me down in IRC today and I can set you up
in CVS so you have direct access to the code and then we can talk about
divying up the tasks.

Please be sure to send me the handle or email of that 'other developer'
you eluded to.