[geeklog-devel] GL2 API thoughts

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Mar 5 13:42:28 EST 2003

Well, call me the town idiot.  I'm familiar with the Java portlet API, it
has been mentioned as a way to replace the 1.3.x 'block' concept.  I'm not
against doing it.  I don't follow any of the nukes and, probably
surprisingly to some, I dont' follow any other CMS/weblog as I feel it
tends to give me tunnel vision and instead of innovating I find myself
trying to keep up with the jones'.

With that said, I will give anything a good once over, if you have the PHP
spec for the 'portlet' concept let me know as I would be quite interested
in learning more to see if there is any real value to it.  The only value
I see off hand is that modules have a single API across CMS/weblogs where
as today they have to implement the plugin API for each CMS/weblog.  Sure
that sounds good but neither is much work with your suggestion being the
path of least resistance.

So, like I said, feel free to forward on any information you have and we
can discuss it here...

--Tony

--
Tony Bibbs          "I guess you have to remember that those who don't
tony at tonybibbs.com  hunt or fish often see those of us who do as