[geeklog-devel] Search update

Michael Iams miams at zephyrsys.com
Tue Mar 11 09:45:24 EST 2003

When doing the rewrite, any chance you can include hooks that would also
include results from third party software?

The reason I ask, is my site desperately cry's out for the ability to
search the contents for PDFs, and Microsoft DOC and PPT documents.  My
plan was to simply replace GL's search with 3rd party software.  But
if you include hooks, it can:

  create a much more integrated experience,

  provide better control over the results,

  and everyone can benefit.

I few open-source search engines I found were:
Namazu    http://www.namazu.org/

PHP4 module to access Namazu index:
http://www.koderz.org/index.php?id=395

KSearch    http://www.kscripts.com/scripts.shtml#ksearch

There are many others, but these were the two best open-source ones that I
found.  I ended up selecting Namuzu for my own purposes, as it looks like
it is more currently maintained.

As a side-note, I would think this type of feature would make GL much more
enterprise-friendly.

Thanks,

Michael