[geeklog-devel] Anti Spam Features

Vincent Furia vmf at abtech.org
Tue Oct 28 12:39:45 EST 2003

Sorry, I wasn't too clear.  What I meant was to initially ban only
anonymous comments from an IP that is spamming the comments (with the
assumption most spammers won't go through the trouble of spamming).
This could be implmented on the first spam recieved and would hopefully
limit the trouble caused by spammers behind large proxies (like AOL).
If a spammer does register, then you can block by username/email.  And
if you have a really persistant, pain in the ass spammer, then you can
completely block by IP.  This way an admin can allow anonymous comments
generally, but block anonymous comments from specific IPs.

I'd also note that it may be a good idea to tie this in with Geeklog's
ability to send emails (i.e. a banned IP won't be able to submit
comments or send email to site users).

This may be exactly what you were already talking about, but I just
wanted to make sure I was clear on it.

-Vinny