[geeklog-devel] Comment Spam & lib-c*.php

Michael Jervis mike at skinmaster.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 03:07:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've been having a lot of comment spam recently and I noticed there is no IP
tracking on the comments, making it hard to locate and lock out repeated
anonymous comment spam. I've modified my geeklog instance, didn't take much,
to log the comment ip address, and display it next to the delete link if you
have delete permissions.

I think this code should be a feature. Want mine?

I was thinking, as I trolled round the code changing things. IMHO
lib-custom.php and lib-common.php are the wrong way round. Sort of.

I think that your geeklog include path and custom files should be in the
same file. lib-custom.php which should be in the public_html. lib-common.php
should be in system. This way there are two touch points, config.php and
lib-custom.php where users put their stuff. They shouldn't need to edit a
'core' file, lib-common.php themselves.

The content of lib-custom.php would never need to change, it's their system
specific settings. No more editing of lib-common.php when upgrading etc. It
just make things more logical, and better for upgrading IMHO.

Just my $0.02.

Mike