[geeklog-devel] PHP Sessions and PEAR Class

Blaine Lang geeklog at langfamily.ca
Wed Aug 4 18:49:59 EDT 2004

Tony wrote:
> Sessions are session.  Thus how long a session lives either using files
or the DB is up to the coder.  It sounds like you thought the TTL was
different for both and they are, in fact the same.

Nope - I knew that the location of storage had no effect. Thats not what I
was referring to.

I was stating that SESSIONS are not normally designed to be active as long
as cookies and thus we may not find they can replace cookies. I was also
stating that we may want to use $_CONF for some of the SESSION settings such
as TTL.

Tony, can you review my initial questions I'd like your input.

I've just reviewed the CLASS code and have these questions and observations

1) There will likely be a need to add a few new $_CONF options,
specifically:
- Mode:  Option to use DB or Session files
- Session_name: Default
- Expiretime: Time for session to be active
- Idletime: Possibly needed

2: What is the difference between Expire Time and Idle Time ?

3. What are the function methods for localVariables used for - what beneft ?
   ->setLocal(), ->getLocal(), ->localName()

4. I am thinking the only time we need to use session_destroy is upon
logout.