[geeklog-devel] Re: Input From PJ of Groklaw

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:22:40 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:46:41 +0200, Peter Roozemaal <mathfox at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> The database is the most serious performance bottleneck. We have 7?
> webservers talking to a single database and Geeklog does a lot of
> queries per page. We have a few stories with over 1000 comments!

I implemented tons of changes in current CVS (1.3.10) that will reduce
the number of DB queries by a LOT.  Many (but by no means all) of
these changes were to comments and articles which reduces query time
by an order of magnitude for stories with lots of comments.  Now one
query will fetch all the comments and a typical article page load has
fewer than 50 queries (as opposed to about 150 (+ 1 per comment)  in
1.3.9).

Of course more testing will be required before I'd recommend throwing
these on a production system (especially Groklaw).

-Vinny