[geeklog-devel] GL2 Framework

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Dec 13 14:39:26 EST 2004

>Hmm, but GL2 is my long-term vision ...

That's good to know.  I thought that is where you stood but I didn't
want to make any assumptions at this point considering how long things
have gone since I first proposed starting GL2 to now.

>I can see enough potential in 1.3 to go for another year or maybe even 2,
>but eventually it will have to be replaced with something new. And I
>don't feel like I could develop a new system from scratch - I just don't
>have the time for that.

That is my exact dilemna.  So this raises the question I think I posed a
long time ago which is shouldn't we consider drawing a line in the sand
where we only do bugs, security fixes and minor enhancments to 1.3.x and
focus all our attention on 2.x?  I think the general concensus at the
time was that was a good idea but we simply didn't develop this into a
real plan.  I think a real plan would involve mapping out the remaining
tasks you'd like to see done in 1.3.x and partitioning those out into a
set of releases with some loose target dates.  That would allow us to do
some real planning for GL2.

>You can always count on me for GL2 module development, but I'd happily
>leave the core development in someone else's hands ...

Good.  You know it's funny how things evolved.  I got into GL similar to
the way you did which ended up being a full range of duties that were,
at the time, easier to manage because I had 'extra' time.  I think all
of us core developers have similar issues so I think if we could simply
figure out how to focus our energies into GL2 in an organized way we
could really get a lot done.   Of course, I'd like us to add a few new
developers as well...

 Thanks for the input.  It should stir up some conversation.