[geeklog-devel] Draft of schema for GL2

dwight at trumbower.com dwight at trumbower.com
Thu Dec 16 13:00:25 EST 2004

> I think we have to require INNODB.  Without it you don't get foreign
> keys nor transaction support.  Two things, IMHO, I don't want to live
> without.  I think eventually ISP's will get their act together and start
> supporting versions of MySQL that support INNODB (why that wouldn't be
> the default table type moving forward is beyond me).

Moving to INNODB is moving closer to a real DBMS and requires more
administration. For one, you can't do backups unless you take the database
off line or spend $500 for a product. I don't see ISP switching. Most
can't handle standard mysql properly.

I found this out when Dirk started making GL 1.3.x default to innodb. He
changed it back to myisam with an option to make it innodb.

I don't have a problem with forcing INNODB, just bringing up issues as I
see them. The target user for GL2 will be much smaller than it is today.

Dwight