[geeklog-devel] Actual Working Schema for GL2

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Fri Dec 17 10:34:14 EST 2004

Vincent Furia wrote:

>Tony,
>
>A couple more things:
>
>1. You don't need the left_index or right_index in gl_category since
>it has 1-1 relationship with the item table which already has those.

Right you are

>2. Why are you using INTs for dates?  Why not TIMESTAMPs or DATETIMEs?

Well, we need to discuss the issue of dates.  Date handling, even with
an ORM can be a PITA with the native types from a DBMS.  I need to play
with Propel more with this before we make a decision.  Long and short is
I want to be sure the code that works with dates works across DBMS's

>3. Don't forget you want indexes on columns on which you plan to sort.

I'll double check.  If there are some you think I missed send them over
for verification.

>4. In gl2_group change the display_name column to group_name to be consistent.

Right

>5. I think we should standardize on just a couple lengths of varchar
>fields (all URLs should be 256, all _names should be 40 or 50).
>    - the homepage varchar in gl2_user is way too short, presumably
>this is a URL

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I'm betting Dwight might have some
good standards to start with.  I was simply pulling the length out of my
backside (if you can't tell)

>6. gl2_item_type_state seems redundant.  Just use the LOV Table, where
>the group_name indicates type and the lov_id/short_name indicate that
>state.  Or am I missing something?

Yeah, made the change.