[geeklog-devel] Spam to members of lists

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Fri Feb 20 09:15:03 EST 2004

I got this complaint today:

<snip>
Tony,

I joined geeklog-users a little more than a week ago using newly created
email
addresses and posted only twice, and already I received two spam emails
today
to the new addresses (one of the addresses appears only in the Received
header
).

Either the spammer is a member of the list and receives emails with the full
headers, or a list member's computer is infected and collects addresses.

I know how seriously you and the development team of Geeklog think about
security. I would like to ask your help to consider what could be done
to stop
spammers from collecting email addresses from geeklog lists. Right now I'm
having second thoughts about publicly contributing to the development
(at least
not without stripping some mail headers).

FYI below are transcripts of the blocked SPAM going to these two email
addresses. They were received 1 second apart from two different IP
addresses.

sincerely,
Drago Goricanec
</snip>

I then reviewed the privacy options and the only thing I see that we can
do to fix this is set the very last option, "Hide the sender of a
message, replacing it with the list address (Removes From, Sender and
Reply-To fields)" to 'yes'.

I think spam is enough of a problem where we should simply turn this off
but I wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something because all this
rings a bell with a situation way back when we were addressing this last.

...which reminds me I should probably upgrade mailman to see if we don't
get some new anti-spam features (i.e. baysian filters, etc)

Thoughts?