[geeklog-devel] Spam to members of lists

Vincent Furia vmf at abtech.org
Fri Feb 20 10:31:04 EST 2004

Tony,

We have gone through this before.  Last time we switched many people
(including myself) complained that not having the email addresses of the
people sending emails to the list was a major PITA when it came to
keeping track of who said what.  This is especially true since many
people don't sign their email.

I'd rather put up with a bit of SPAM (which SPAM filters can catch) then
have to figure out from context who was sending a message to the mailing
list.  Also I like to be able to email people directly (especially for
some of the questions that pop-up on geeklog-users).

Note that the SPAMers could have gotten his email by scouring the
archive.  Some people do a reply-to that includes something like:

	joe at some.email.com said:

Which doesn't get filtered and an email address winds up on the lists
archive web pages to be grabbed by SPAM bots.  Maybe there is a way to
filter email addresses out of the body of messages before they posted to
the archive?

-Vinny