[geeklog-devel] Dumb question but....

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Jan 27 15:01:29 EST 2004

Can anyone tell me how www.geeklog.net is able to figure out how many
anonymous users are using the site?  I ask because I don't think it is
immediately obvious using only the session table:

mysql> select count(*) from sessions where uid = 1;
+----------+
| count(*) |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

That is from my session database on Iowa Outdoors and, granted it is
possible to have only 1 record but highly unlikely consider the traffic
I get.  I have also ran that query at peak intervals and I always get 1.

I'd like to show this information on my site but the solution, which I
am guessing is trivial, isn't so obvious to me.