[geeklog-devel] Groklaw

Rob Griffiths robg at macosxhints.com
Wed Jan 28 20:50:48 EST 2004

On Jan 28, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Tony Bibbs wrote:

> their popularity and those of other Geeklog sites to talk about
> scaling issues.  I know masosxhints.com does a lot of traffic as does
> groklaw.net and I'm interested how they have

Don't forget about MacFixIt, probably the king of volume at the moment.
  macosxhints.com is doing about 7gb to 8gb a day, with 1,000,000+ page
views a month, and we haven't had any problems with Geeklog keeping
pace -- pages still load lightning quick.

According to my config guy, he just "tweaked" php.ini and mysql.conf a
bit, and made sure that the pconnect was disabled.  In addition, we
threw a really big hardware box at it -- a dual Xeon machine with 2gb
of RAM, and it's a dedicated server just for hints and the forum site
(and a few very tiny family sites).  We're still running 1.37 (all
security updates applied, I think), though I have 1.38 running locally
and hope to get it online Someday Really Soon Now.

> know what they are doing.  Are they simply using beefy boxes and ISP's
> with fat pipes or are there some other things under the hood.  Any of
> you have an answers to this?

Our ISP (ev1.net) definitely has fat pipes, and provides a lot of
bandwidth (1.2 terabytes), which is very nice. They seem to have one of
the faster net connections I've seen (I've had four hosts in three
years with macosxhints, mainly due to outgrowing all the prior
providers). I think we'll be with ev1.net for a while -- until I can
find a similar host offering dual XServes, so I can finally host on
what I write about :).

If you want, I can probably get the php.ini and mysql.cnf files for you
to look at...

-rob.