[geeklog-devel] 1.3.10 to do list

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Jul 31 04:57:27 EDT 2004

Blaine,

>I have just submitted to CVS the changes to support the Story Archive
>Feature.

Nice work. A couple of comments:

I'm not happy with the $_CONF['archivetopic'] variable. Topic IDs should
be kept out of the config.php, IMO. I can think of 2 better ways to do this:

1) Add an "Archive" flag to the topics table, similar to the default
topic flag.

2) Even more flexible: Add the archive topic id to the story table, so
that stories can be archived in different topics.

I'm open to other ideas, but please keep the topic ID out of config.php.

The user interface for that option is a bit clumsy. First you have to
enable archiving and then you have to select whether you want Auto
Archive or Auto Delete. I would assume that Auto Archive is the option
you'll want in most cases, so could you make that one selected
automatically when enabling the option?

>I have used Javascript to disable the extra
>fields in the story editor "Edit" screen if this option is disabled. The
>default is for this option to be disabled unless toggled on per story. It's
>a nice touch but I may have to disable it or find a quick way to leave these
>new fields enabled if JS is disabled in the browser. Just about everyone has
>JS enabled don't they :)

Thanks to Mozilla's fine-grained Javascript options, I do have Javascript
enabled most of the time. But I do use Lynx on occasion ...

>This is a topic for another day but maybe we assume JS is enabled for
>Admin's and start to use JS to improve the UI.
>I'd love to see a nice Tab'ed interface for some of these large admin pages.

I not opposed to using Javascript to make things easier / more
comfortable, but every option should also be available without Javascript.

http://geeklog.info/