[geeklog-devel] New features in CVS

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu May 13 14:34:28 EDT 2004

Okay, I did some tests ...

PEAR:Net_Whois is completely useless at the moment. Telling me that
62.67.200.68 is assigned to RIPE is about as informative as saying that
Stuttgart is a place in Europe - not exactly wrong, but it could be a lot
more precise.

phpWhois does the job, although I found that some of the included .whois
files are using short PHP open tags (<? instead or <?php) which may not
work on some setups. Some of the files are even missing the closing ?>
tags ...

I've decided to leave the code as is for now, but remove the URLs of the
various Whois services from config.php, as one of them already asked me
to log in the next time I tried it. These things seem to change too often
and would probably cause us more support problems than this entire
feature is worth.

Instead, I'd now recommend installing Tom's Nettools and provided a
sample URL in config.php (commented out by default) for it.

http://geeklog.info/