[geeklog-devel] GL2 and site relationships

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Jan 5 12:04:37 EST 2005

One thing missing from the current GL2 data model is the ability to run
multiple sites under one database.  These sites may, or may not, have a
relationship of some sort.  This definitely needs to be added.  I wanted
to quickly describe this and how I am proposing to solve this.

Organizations, particularly businesses, would want to use a CMS like GL2
allowing each entity in their table of organization to have their own
site.  These relationships can be in three different modes:

1) Independent.  They share the same database but have no relationship
between them.  As such they effectively act as their own independent GL2
site

2) Peer-to-Peer.  You may have two GL2 sites with different but related
content.  This model would allow one site to magically 'submit' items
that can be included on the other site given that site administrator
wants it.

3) Affinities. This covers the scenario I eluded to where you have a
number of GL2 sites that are related to one another.  There will always
be a top level 'master' who can create affinities under them who can
control their own content but are subjected to content changes the
'master' feels is appropriate to them.

My first question is do we still want to support this sort of
functionality?  Doing so would complicate overall administration but we
could probably hide that complexity if, at installation, we knew the
admin didn't care to run more than one GL2 site in the single database.