[geeklog-devel] Minimum requirements: MySQL

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Jan 21 12:51:52 EST 2005

For the next Geeklog release, I'm going to raise the minimum requirements
_slightly_ again.

This time, it's the MySQL version: The new minimum requirement will be
3.23.2. Currently, we don't specifiy a minimum version and have even
incorporated changes to support 3.22 in the past.

As of MySQL 3.23.2 it's possible to have an index on a field that's
DEFAULT NULL. We take that into account in the inital install, but not in
upgrades and it's a real hassle to handle that in upgrades.

I think this is reasonable. MySQL AB have stopped supporting 3.22 long
ago, and anyone running on something older than 3.23.45 (or thereabouts)
is vulnerable to various security issues anyway. Not to mention that the
current version recommended for production use is 4.1.9.

I'm also going to change the install script such that it aborts the
install when it encounters PHP versions older than 4.1.0 or MySQL
versions older than 3.23.2.

Parallel to that, my goal for Geeklog 1.3.12 is to get rid of the old
"long" PHP HTTP arrays ($HTTP_GET_VARS, etc.) and only use the "short"
ones ($_GET). This will help people running PHP 5, where the old-style
arrays are disabled by default.

Since some plugins and add-ons may require the "long" arrays, I'm going
to add a warning to the install script for that case (as suggested by bug
report #360).

Does anyone see a problem with any of this?

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/