[geeklog-devel] About the "internal" and Webservices APIs

Oliver Spiesshofer oliver at spiesshofer.com
Sat Aug 11 11:26:23 EDT 2007

Naaaa..... I think much more basic.

check out my site. http://tokyoahead.com

all my articles look the same:

this is the header:

this is the content:

[ repeats ]

since they are always the same, I do not want to type that in everytime.
I could store that in a textfile on my computer, or go to an older story
and copy it into a new story.
But since I always move the images around after uploading, it becomes a
headache. I want to have that text prefilled in new stories with space
for 30 images.

And for my company, we have stories to announce news and some to
introduce new employees. they have a specific layout that people do not
want to recreate each time, and searching it among the old stories and
then cop-pasting it is a nuisance.

So imagine this:

when you open you stories-admin-page you do not only see one list of
stories, but two. One with templates and one with the actually published
stories. When you open one of the templates, it will open the
story-editor with all the fields prefilled: header, content, archive
settings, user rights. you just have to write the text and do not care
about the layout since it is already there.

Now when the Webservices API comes and gets content from the outside, it
does not know what kind of permissions to use and what archive settings
to have (currently). With templates, you could assign one of the
templates as the default webservices template. This would automatically
use one of the access-rights etc settings and fill the text into the
header and content by a certain rule such as [header: text text] and
[content: text text] or such.

this would solve the issue that Dirk mentioned: the webservice does not
provide info about permissions etc. They have found a solution as it
seems but I think the templates can do the same to a certain extent at
least and also fulfill other requirements.

Oliver