[geeklog-devel] Proposal: Plugin vars in templates

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Sat Aug 11 21:09:05 EDT 2007

I don't see the need to add these generic template vars to all of our
templates because there would likely just be confusion and collision
when the ratings plugin uses {plg1} and myplugin uses {plg1}. A generic
name is just confusing as to what is' being used for.

The plugin API PLG_templateSetVars has been an excellent addition to GL
and very flexible - granted you need to update a template to add the
variable if it does not exist but it's not hard to distribute those
updates or directions. If you don't have a plugin and want to use this
feature which has been the case for me on a few projects, adding your
code to CUSTOM_templateSetVars is straight forward and you can test for
the template file you need to to set the new variables for.

There just may be a few more places we want to add PLG_templateSetVars();

Blaine