[geeklog-devel] GPLv3

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sat Jun 30 05:25:56 EDT 2007

Christian Weiske wrote:

>I was educated that the GPL v2 and LGPL contain a "hole" because it only
>talks about "distributing" software which does not include web
>applications

Yeah, we know about this loophole and have accepted it long ago.

>The GPLv3 speaks not of distributing but of "conveying" now - I don't
>know if that covers web apps, but the last article I read told me not [1].

It's my understanding that the GPLv3 doesn't change anything here,
despite the change in language. If we wanted to have that case covered,
we would have to switch to the Affero GPL - which is another license, so
we can't do it.

As I said, our only options (for 1.x) are to stick with GPLv2 or switch
to GPLv3.

In retrospect, it was probably a mistake to use the GPL for Geeklog.
With the hindsight of all the discussions we've had over the years, I'd
pick something BSDish now. Note that I don't blame anyone for that
decision - I'd bet it sounded like the right thing to do at the time.

Geeklog Day at FrOSCon: August 25, 2007 - See you there!
http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/geeklog-day-at-froscon