[geeklog-devel] OpenID support in CVS

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sat May 26 18:02:29 EDT 2007

At 03:51 PM 5/26/2007, Dirk Haun wrote:
>Still unresolved: What to do about duplicate email addresses.
>
>Duplicate usernames are resolved on the fly (see above) but I have no
>good idea what to do about duplicate email addresses - other than to
>abort the login. The problem manifests itself when such a user tries to
>change their preferences or an Admin tries to make some change to the user.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't deny access. The enduser has
already made an account here so why let him associate another login
with the same email. Perhaps a screen telling the user that email
address is already registered and that they must either login with a
different openid or login as the user who already possesses that email address.

The only issue there is the user has more than one OpenID with the
same email. I get the feeling the robust answer (and hard to code
answer) is to allow more than one "login id" associated with one
user. So I could login with my jmucchiello handle or user and openid
address and both methods resolve to uid 12345. But that would
probably require rethinking how gl_users works.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com