[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Story Size Limits

Jeff Hare geeklog at thehares.com
Sat Nov 24 22:06:33 EST 2007

Hi,

Regarding MSSQL:
================
When I looked at the schema for the MS-SQL database, upon first glance, it
appears to define story intro and body contents as VARCHAR(5000).  Surely
that's not right, am I misreading the Schema in mssql_tableanddata.php?

I would have perhaps expected VARCHAR(65536) to be compatible with
current/past MySQL TEXT limits.

For SQL Server, perhaps we should be thinking about changing varchar() to
text and using full text search index instead?  Having intro(5000) and
body(5000) already puts us over the 8060 byte row "limit" for updating.
Problem there is that it may work fine now, but fail later from what I
understand (but have not personally experienced).  SQL Server 2005 may not
have quite the same soft 8060 byte row updating limit.  It's possible I'm
wrong on this however as I'm not a seasoned SQL Server vet.

-Jeff