[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Story Size Limits

Alexander Hybel xp at hybel.de
Sat Nov 24 14:08:43 EST 2007

Hello all,

Dirk Haun wrote:
> Jeff Hare wrote:
>> What's the chance of bumping the story body type up to MEDIUMTEXT?
>>

> I'd like to pass this question on to our database experts: What would be
> the downsides? Would it, for example, require more space even if not used?

While I'm not one of the DB experts ;-) my fat MySQL book (for MySQL 4)
and the online documentation at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/storage-requirements.html (here
for MySQL 5.1) tell me that the space requirements for MEDIUMTEXT are
minimal above TEXT.
To be precise it's 1 byte per entry!

With this you have room for 16.777.215 characters - not taking space
requirements for Unicode characters into account. These can take up to
three bytes space.

Other than that there doesn't seem to be a big downside.
Of course larger DB entries won't exactly lead to better performance,
but this is only in effect if one really uses that much space.
Apparently the current TEXT size with up to 65k chars is sufficient for
the average GL user. So these people shouldn't see or feel any
difference at all.

--
Regards,
Alexander Hybel