[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-cvs] Geeklog-1.x

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Sun Nov 25 13:52:48 EST 2007

At 09:54 AM 11/25/2007, Dirk Haun wrote:
>The discussion months ago didn't provide a solution, then a feature
>freeze was called and only then did this new version arrive. Bad timing.
>Better luck next time.

Below is the first reference to the code being frozen that I can
find. I posted that the library was ready for testing that same day
Sept. 1. At this point the code worked with GL core perfectly (after
the couple patches to core).

At 08:45 AM 9/1/2007, Joe Mucchiello wrote:
>At 05:48 AM 9/1/2007, Dirk Haun wrote:
>>Now that the Summer of Code is over (thanks everyone, btw!) and the code
>>has landed in CVS, we should stop adding new features and concentrate on
>>cleaning up and move onwards to the next release.
>
>Almost forgot.... I hope there's room for one more feature. I have
>finally finished the caching version of template library. I think
>Michael was going to test that for me but I don't know if he still
>has time. I've been running the new template library on my calendar
>test site as well as for all my local development so it should be
>pretty stable. Anyone who wants a copy, let me know.

The library had most of the bugs shaken out of it by 9/18 as seen in this post.

At 11:07 AM 9/18/2007, Joe Mucchiello wrote:
>Mark has been running gllabs.org on the new template library. He has
>a stats page from his use of xdebug showing the slight improvements:
>http://www.gllabs.org/staticpages/index.php?page=cachetemplate (I'm
>hoping you don't mind my posting that, Mark.)

Since there was no progress with getting it into CVS up until then I
posted the hack to geeklog.net on Oct 8. Here's my formal post about
putting it up. There was a single bugs after that but I haven't
uploaded that fixed version anywhere except to Mark directly.

At 02:29 AM 10/11/2007, Joe Mucchiello wrote:
 > Well I finally finished the template caching library. It's posted
to geeklog.net as a hack:
http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=871 Mark Evans has been
running the library on gllabs.org  for a while now so there should
not be any major issues left with the library.

As I have said many times, the potential template bugs in plugins
makes the major changes to ADMIN_list a very convenient time to add
the caching library to the core. Most 1.4.1 plugins will not run on
1.5 because of the changes to ADMIN_list. So forcing the template
bugs to show up at the same time will make it easier for the plugin
users. Saving the caching library for 1.5.1 just means 1.5 plugins
will not be compatible with 1.5.1 if they have the same template bugs
as many plugins have now. This will mean users upgrading from 1.4.1
to 1.5 and then to 1.5.1 will need all new plugins twice.

As Mark pointed out, the limited "if" capability in the template
caching means lots of little template files could go away. Delaying
that another 6 months does the theme authors no courtesy.

----
Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com