[geeklog-devel] [geeklog-cvs] Geeklog-1.x

Mark R. Evans mevans at ecsnet.com
Sun Nov 25 14:27:26 EST 2007

Joe,

It appears the feature freeze was only limited to some, not all.

http://eight.pairlist.net/pipermail/geeklog-devel/2007-September/002325.html-
Oliver announces he can make a pure CSS layout.   On Sept 27, he
committed
the changes:
http://eight.pairlist.net/pipermail/geeklog-cvs/2007-September/003523.html

Too bad this particular change doesn't actually work, it just complicates
the code and doesn't produce anything useful.

The XHTML is finally adopted, talk about new features!

Let's see, Blaine committed a new feature just this week.  I'm sure I could
go dig through CVS and find a few more, but why bother...

The reason I am so passionate about this is that there are a few things with
Geeklog v1.5 that really bring Geeklog to a point that it is truly an
incredible CMS.  The new installation and online configuration are wonderful
enhancements that addressed an area where Geeklog needed a shot in the arm.

The XHTML capability now opens up Geeklog to some incredible options.  Eric
and I will be releasing some theming tools and techniques that will allow
pure CSS driven designs and still maintain Geeklog's flexibility of having
dynamic layouts (1,2 or 3 columns).

The final area where Geeklog needs improvement is the template engine.  What
Joe has done is perfect.  It is 100% backward compatible, it provides a
speed improvement and introduces new features to significantly improve how
templates are used.

As I sit on the sidelines and watch all this unfold, it basically pisses me
off that Joe goes to all this effort, I champion it and provide
benchmarking, testing and validation and it is completely ignored, over and
over.  After 3 months of begging on this list for at least a response, we
get 'Better luck next time' with a reference to a freeze that was selective
at best.

If I could actually find an ounce of logic in all this I wouldn't bother
with this post, but it simply makes no sense to me.  How do you ignore
something that provides such value with little risk.  How do you ignore all
this work and effort for so long to end it with 'Better luck next time'.
How do you believe there will be a next time when this is how it was treated
this time?

Confused....
Mark