[geeklog-devel] caching template library

Mark R. Evans mevans at ecsnet.com
Thu Nov 29 23:03:23 EST 2007

Alford,

I don't think you understand what I'm describing, on a multi-row display of
albums that uses the set_block feature, some have sub-albums, some don't.
Using the dynamic capability of of the caching library, I can now check in
the template if the sub album variable is set, if not, then use the
colspan=2 otherwise call the second <td>subalbum list</td>.  So each row is
unique, no way to do that with the existing library unless I actually built
the HTML output in the PHP code which is moving in the wrong direction!

As for a ridiculous and immature tactic, you are certainly entitled to your
opinion.  But my take on it is that now I have the ability to bring a whole
lot of new functionality to my plugins, reduce the actual PHP code and
improve their performance.  To me, that is a plus.  Joe did such a good job
on making this backward compatible, I feel pretty comfortable requiring it
for future releases of my code.  Installation is simple and straight
forward.  Dirk has already committed the necessary fixes to GL 15, so having
folks drop it into their tree should be pretty straight forward.

As with anything here, no one forces anyone to use anything.  If folks don't
want to use the caching library, that is fine, there is a current release of
all my plugins that work fine without it.  But moving forward, I want to
take advantage of the new features it provides.  It opens up a lot of new
possibilities that I believe bring a lot of value.

Thanks!
Mark