[geeklog-devel] PLG_itemDisplay?

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Tue Oct 9 23:34:36 EDT 2007

Oliver Spiesshofer wrote:
> Step1:
> So you would check the data in the array and eventually change it and
> assign the template variable again with the updated data?
I am also not convinced that it is necessary to expand the API with a
$data array. If a plugin or custom function really needs to lookup some
data then adding a DB calls to get this information based on the
available keys (in existing template vars) if that data is not already
in the existing template vars is not really going to add any noticeable
overhead.

Joe Mucchiello wrote:
 > Add an extra variable to any templates expressly for the use of
unknown plugins: {extensions}

Sounds like a lot of template changes and personally I really have not
been limited except on major custom site projects and well that would
have been the least of my worries. I would prefer not to make it even
more difficult for themers and site admin's to upgrade their site. I'm
not against it - just not convinced there is a need that can not be
solved today or in the few cases, require a minor and easy theme update
by the site admin.

I completed a recent project that used a number of custom autotags to
set new template vars and I personally prefer to add named template vars
as I need them. And if need, any user could easily do as well.

Blaine