[geeklog-devel] PLG_itemDisplay?

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Tue Oct 9 01:15:04 EDT 2007

At 08:58 PM 10/8/2007, Oliver Spiesshofer wrote:
>Step1:
>So you would check the data in the array and eventually change it
>and assign the template variable again with the updated data?

I suspect, for the most part, the only thing in the array needed is
the object's primary key: $data['sid'] for articles but some objects
you might require more: $data['sid'] and $data['type'] for comments.
Why have the plugin_templatesetvar_$plugin function hit the database
to get the information when that info is probably already in a
variable held by the caller to PLG_templateSetVars?

Usually, when you are hooking a template, your output is dependent on
the specific article/comment/whatever at hand. Currently, you can
fake this with $T->get_var('sid') IF and only IF that variable is set
by the code. Adding the variable to the call to PLG_templateSetVars
means you can't forget to set the variable.

Modifying existing data is one possibility but, as I say in step 3,
my guess is most uses of PLG_templateSetVars is to add
controls/output to a screen. The ratings plugin is the perfect
example of a plugin that adds things to existing objects.

>Step2:
>Well the $type is the plugin-id anyhow, so there should not be any discussion

Yes, I was referring to internal geeklog objects. Is it "article" or
"story"? In the submit.php file, it is "story". But the call to
PLG_itemSaved uses "article". That kind of stuff needs to be made consistent.

>Step3:
>I see how this could help but I think it is enough if the plugin can
>freely manipulate all template variables before they are displayed.

More importantly, do you see where it can hurt? I think have a
specific variable designed for plugins which can be manipulated by
the theme makers is important. In professional, you might piggy-back
your output on one variable. But in another theme it doesn't look
right because they've changed the placement of that variable relative
to some other variable. Having an independent variable simplifies the
theme maker's job. Now, you might argue that {extensions} is not the
right word to choose. I can't think of anything better but I'm not
satisfied with {extension} either.