[geeklog-devel] 1.5 Installer stuff

Oliver Spiesshofer oliver at spiesshofer.com
Thu Oct 11 22:59:07 EDT 2007

Joe Mucchiello wrote:
> At 07:30 PM 10/11/2007, Oliver Spiesshofer wrote:
>> Joe Mucchiello wrote:
>>> I don't put public_html under the geeklog directory so I end up on
>>> the admin/install/index.php screen with this:
>>> Unable to locate Geeklog files
>>> The installation script was unable to locate critical Geeklog files.
>>> This is probably because you have moved them from their default
>>> location. Please specify the paths to the files and directories below:
>> well I do not think this can be avoided in any case.
>
> I wasn't complaining about that. I was explaining where I was in the
> process. The complaint was the short field (see below) and the back
> button issue (also below)

sure. I just noted it in case there is a misunderstanding.
>>> The entry field is small and my Unix path is over 100 characters.
>>> Not convenient.
>> do you have the latest CVS? I I already made the fields longer
>> yesterday. how wide was your field?
>
> Is this another CVS issue? I ran checkout at 1am EDT today. Was your
> checkin before or after that?
Dunno about the time I did it. I think I made the field 100 long.

>>> It couldn't find db-config.php and said the path was incorrect.
>>> Hitting the "back" button didn't replace /path/to/db-config.php with
>>> the 100 characters I just typed. That was annoying.
>> well thats a browser-problem. If you use Opera I think it works.
>
> No, no, no, there's a "back" on the form. It submits a form to
> admin/install/index.php. That does not repopulate the entry field.
ah ok
>>> More annoying was the fact that the path was correct but
>>> db-config.php was not writable. It was '644'. Setting '666' allowed
>>> me to continue. I set it back to '644' and tried again and there was
>>> no problem this time.
>> well there should be a help displayed somewhere that says which files
>> have to be writable. It should however discover that the file is there.
>
> Actually, someone should play around with that. I had trouble getting
> any consistency out of this. Sometimes it complains about the 644 and
> sometimes it doesn't.

Well it seems to me the whole checks/balances of the installer have to
be revisited. Since I am in another major code revamp of the admin pages
I dont really have time to look into that since I want to get that done
today, and next week I will be out of the country.

Oliver