[geeklog-devel] New GL default theme

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:47:12 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, =MF=Geiss <geiss at midnightforce.com> wrote:
> "The real problem here, which we've confronted on and off again for
> years, is the fact that there is markup in the code. I think it was
> two or three years ago we had a big push to get the markup generated
> in the code so that it would meet w3c html 4.01 strict."
>
> GL isn't HTML 4.01 Strict now. It's HTML 4.01 Transitional. Even
> Blaine's NexPro site uses the Transitional doctype.

Sorry Eric.  I wasn't very clear there.  What I meant is that all the
markup that is contained in  Geeklog's php (i.e. outside the themes)
conforms with HTML 4.01 strict. That allows it to be used in websites
that are HTML 4.0 Transition, HTML 4.01 Transition, or HTML 4.01
Strict.  Switching that markup to HTML would invalidate themes that
depended on that markup to validate.

Again, I think the best solution to this problem is to completely
remove markup from the (php) code, allowing sites to be XHTML, HTML,
WAP or even plain text.  At that point a new site could choose which
type of output.

I think ideally, we should have per theme parsers (that could be
shared by themes using the same standards), so that content could be
written in some universal markup (like wiki-text) and then translated
into XHTML, HTML, etc.  That would allow a site to have many different
themes, with different standards, and still fully conform.

If I have time tonight, I'll start looking at what it would take to
strip markup out of the code.

-Vinny