[geeklog-devel] Integrated Web Installer and Online Config Feedback

Matt West matt.danger.west at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:11:23 EDT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Blaine Lang wrote:

> Next it nicely showed me any folders that i need to change
> permissions for. I also had the big "Install" or "Upgrade" buttons
> and I did not try forcing past the directory perm settings - so I
> am not sure if it would have proceeded. I think we may NOT want to
> show a user these buttons until they have the directory permissions
> set correctly - even though most of the directories will not effect
> the installation but some will.

If the user tries to go onto the next step without changing
permissions the script will display a warning and will not let them
continue until they set the appropriate permissions on the critical
files (db-config.php and siteconfig.php).

> It complained the logs folder was not 777 even after I ensured it
> was. It continued to report it was 775 until I changed the 3 log
> files in the folder to 777 so thats and issue to fix and identify
> the files within the logs folder.

I simply changed the message to now say "Change directory and
contained files to 777" I think it's easier and cleaner than checking
error.log and access.log manually and displaying a message for each.

> Instead of the "Install" "Upgrade" buttons at this point, we should
> have a button labeled "Re-check Permissions" as some users may or
> may not know to use refresh. We are targeting the new installer at
> a non-techie.

Probably a good idea. I structured it the current way to reduce the
installation steps, but maybe it's not the best way of doing things
for beginners.

> We should have <?> help links for each of the fields in the main
> setup form once install is pressed. These would link to a single
> HTML file with linked anchors.

I added all the functionality, the content will go into the
installer's localization files when I get a chance to write it up. I
did it this way instead of a single HTML doc simply so we could
localize easier.

> Should we still leave an admin/install/install.php stub that
> redirects to admin/install/index.php ?
> Maybe even have public/index.php redirect to the admin/install/
> index.php if the site has not been installed yet.

I saw there was some discussion about having the main index redirect
to the installer if a lock file didn't exist but I didn't see much
about this suggestion. I added it for now thinking it'd be easier for
backwards compatibility.

I also fixed a bug Dirk found with the localization and cleaned up
success.php a tad.

Matt