[geeklog-devel] CSS-Layout possible!

Oliver Spiesshofer oliver at spiesshofer.com
Mon Sep 17 22:47:44 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I found a way how to make a CSS-only layout (no tables) that takes into
account that sometimes we do not have any right (or left) blocks.
The important thing here is that the right or left column vanishes
visually completely.

The issue with the solution is that the right blocks have to be in the
sourcecode _before_ the center block. Otherwise the right float does not
work.

If you want to take a look, please open

http://tokyoahead.com/test.html

In order to make this work, we have to change the COM_siteHeader and
COM_siteFooter so that both right and left blocks are shown by the
siteHeader function.

This would allow a much greater flixibility to the layout since two of
the three major design elements would come from one function and be in
one layout file. Only he center content would be appended in the end.

 From my point of view there is nothing to object to that, the overall
layout could look exactly the same, there could be a reduction in
template code and a much larger flexibility for template coders, not to
mention that we would stop using tables for layout.

Still, before I do this, I would like to hear if there are any
objections to that.

Oliver