[geeklog-devel] CSS-Layout possible!

Ramnath R Iyer casual.dodo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 01:18:17 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 00:18:18 Mark R. Evans wrote:
> I've been involved in many 'discussions' on tables vs CSS and I've yet to
> see a convincing argument for either approach.  Each solution seems to have
> its place in the world.  Generally the benefits of a CSS only solution is
> that it makes the content available to more users.  For example, if you are
> using a browser that does not support the CSS (screen readers, tools used
> by those who are visually impaired, etc.), CSS degrades very well.  The
> typical 3 column layout is center, left, right in a CSS solution.  This
> way, if the CSS cannot be interpreted, the main content is shown first.

This is just a minor point when you consider the advantages of CSS over
tables. I have used both in my designs. The primary disadvantage of tables is
that it ties the design to the content rigidly. Theming is difficult and
limited. One of the main objectives of CSS is to separate the content from
the layout, so that anyone who comes along can design a stylesheet that
*completely* changes the look of the website, with no changes made to the
HTML.

CSS falls short in some ways; in fact, this goal could be achieved only with
absolute positioning of all elements, which is generally not a workable
solution. But in my opinion, it is better than tables, providing much more
flexibility with the design, not just cleaner code.

Table layouts typically tend to stagnate, whereas with CSS, new designs can be
developed quickly and efficiently.

There are some quirks (as always) but most problems have solutions (or at
least good hacks), and the situation today is much better than before, with
IE 5.5 and older browsers on their way out.

> With this solution, it actually moves it to the end, so that the right,
> left and then center content would be shown.  At least in the current table
> layout, you get left then center.  So we are back to what are the true
> benefits of a CSS only solution?

I don't think this matters too much. Typically, mobile devices etc. are the
only ones with these issues, since non-CSS browsers are pretty much dead. the
CSS way is to define different stylesheets for different kinds of media.

Floating columns are quite commonly used to create multi-columned layouts.
Right floats *have* to come before non-floats if they are to be displayed at
the same level. There are tricks to get such columns to work exactly as you
need it. In my opinion, the effort is worth it. See
http://www.csszengarden.com/ for some really amazing stuff with CSS.

> Also, we are starting to see some very nice themes come out for Geeklog.  I
> would hate to see each of them break on the next release and I'm afraid
> that could be the result if the right / left blocks are both in the header.
>  If this could be implemented as an option so that legacy themes can still
> work, I think that would be an acceptable approach.

I'm not saying that CSS is the best option for Geeklog, but I think it should
move towards CSS even if it breaks some stuff. The best way to do it would
probably be to release preview versions of the new code and and give people
time to update their design code.

That being said, there *have* been times when I've shifted from a pure CSS to
a table layout out of sheer frustration. :-)

--
Ramnath R Iyer