[geeklog-devel] CSS-Layout possible!

machinari ajdeeley at telus.net
Tue Sep 18 01:01:12 EDT 2007

been done with a custom COM_siteheader in the theme's functions.inc file.
mach

on 17/09/2007 6:47 PM Oliver Spiesshofer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I found a way how to make a CSS-only layout (no tables) that takes
> into account that sometimes we do not have any right (or left) blocks.
> The important thing here is that the right or left column vanishes
> visually completely.
>
> The issue with the solution is that the right blocks have to be in the
> sourcecode _before_ the center block. Otherwise the right float does
> not work.
>
> If you want to take a look, please open
>
> http://tokyoahead.com/test.html
>
> In order to make this work, we have to change the COM_siteHeader and
> COM_siteFooter so that both right and left blocks are shown by the
> siteHeader function.
>
> This would allow a much greater flixibility to the layout since two of
> the three major design elements would come from one function and be in
> one layout file. Only he center content would be appended in the end.
>
> From my point of view there is nothing to object to that, the overall
> layout could look exactly the same, there could be a reduction in
> template code and a much larger flexibility for template coders, not
> to mention that we would stop using tables for layout.
>
> Still, before I do this, I would like to hear if there are any
> objections to that.
>
> Oliver

FM/CPT Machinari
<http://ehtiecorps.org/rosters/personnel.asp?record=6431>/Green 2-2
<http://ehtiecorps.org/rosters/view.asp?squadron=135>/Wing XXI
<http://ehtiecorps.org/rosters/view.asp?wing=21>/MC80B Redemption
<http://ehtiecorps.org/rosters/view.asp?ship=15>
SS/BSx3/PCx3/ISMx4/MoI/IS-8BW-5BR-4SW-2SR-1GW/LoC-TS-CSx5-Rx2/DFC-BW/CoL/CoB/OV-6E
[DCRN]
{IWATS-BOT-CBX-FLA-GFX-IIC/1/2-LIN-M/1/2-PHP-SM/3-TM/1-TT-VBS-XTM/1/2-XTT}