[geeklog-devel] Multi-Hierarchy Category Maintainance Plugin Idea (was Re: Geeklog Document structure)

Heather Engineering info at heatherengineering.com
Wed Sep 26 21:56:32 EDT 2007

I suggested this kind of thing late last year as "gNode" to Tom
(WebSiteMaster), and actually started on it, but this code is too
outdated and not working right now. Also, I have another plugin for a
(hopefully) large project with a major archive (name is off-record
pending approval) that I'm hoping to get going soonish, called
"Documents", which is a hierarchical manager for academic primary
documents.

To get to the point, if anyone wants a tarball, it's still a bit of a
mess as I'm juggling too many things at the moment, but the basic
hierarchical stuff from "Documents" might be of use to someone.
Contact me with your email for a tarball. It's my first OO plugin, so
don't laugh at the (surely many) obvious mistakes. :-) There is a
base "Node" class, which is extended by different types for each
level of the tree.

Alternatively, the stuff from Links should also be a useful starting
point. And you're welcome to the "gNode" name if anyone wants it. (I
went through a dromedarian phase.)

Even more off topic than usual: if there are developers interested in
co-operating on the development of Documents, please let me know. In
particular, I have been told by a professional DB researcher that I
should be using XML for the DB, as records will easily enter the
millions of entries and much data is optional/irregular at each
level, so if there is anyone experienced in XML databases interested
in this, please let me know. It is a major archive so could turn into
an interesting project if I can organise financing or hardware/
bandwidth sponsorship.

Cheers,

Euan.